18 Oct Mazda Starts Production of the CX-5 at Hofu Plant
Mazda Starts Production of the CX-5 at Hofu Plant
Part of efforts to meet increasing global demand for crossovers
Mazda Motor Corporation today started production of the new Mazda CX-5 at its Hofu Plant to enable the company to meet the growing global demand for Mazda crossover vehicles. Until now the CX-5 has been produced at the company’s Hiroshima Plant and at plants in China and Malaysia (for other markets).
David Hodge, Managing Director Mazda New Zealand, said having the CX-5 produced at the Hofu plant will help markets such as New Zealand keep up with demand for the award-winning vehicle. “The new CX-5 further enhances the popularity of the vehicle that has won numerous motoring awards in New Zealand since it was first launched in 2012 and we are delighted the new CX-5 is a Finalist in the 2017 AA/NZ Car of the Year Awards and a contender for People’s Choice.” Mazda is working to meet a global sales volume target of 1.65 million units by the end of its three-year business plan, Structural Reform Stage 2, which was launched last fiscal year.
In recent years global demand for crossovers has surged. To meet this demand expeditiously, the company has made its production system more flexible. In December 2016 the Hofu Plant joined the Hiroshima plant in producing the CX-3, a compact crossover SUV and in August of this year, the system for production of crossovers at the Hiroshima Plant’s body factory was enhanced.
History of Hofu Plant
- 1981: Transmission production facility opens in Nakanoseki, Hofu, Yamaguchi Prefecture
- 1982: A vehicle production facility (now Hofu Plant No. 1) opens in Nishinoura, Hofu
- 1992: A second vehicle production facility (now Hofu Plant No. 2) opens in Nishinoura
- 2002: Production of Mazda6 begins at H2
- 2003: Production of Mazda3 begins at H1
- 2006: Total production volume of transmissions in Nakanoseki reaches 25 million units
- 2013: Production capacity for SKYACTIV-Drive and SKYACTIV-MT is enhanced. Total production volume of vehicles at Hofu Plant reaches 10 million units
- 2014: Production of Mazda2 begins at H1
- 2016: Production of Mazda CX-3 begins at H1
- 2017: Production of all-new Mazda CX-5 begins at H2
For more information please contact – Mazda Motors of New Zealand Limited:
General Manager, Vehicle Sales & Marketing
Ph: (64-9) 571 9748
Marketing Services Manager
Ph: (64-9) 571 9749